Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Second post of the year

You guys must be wondering why on earth am I updating so often. LOL Well, one of the reasons being that classes haven't officially started & I've got plenty of time on my hands.

For the past few months, I've been doing alot of thinking. Not deliberately, but as usual, a female's brain is constantly at work no matter what time of day. =P Last November I befriended an Australian guy at the library while I was photocopying some pages for an assignment. The whole situation was pretty bizarre actually because if I had chosen to go to the library early during the day I wouldn't have bumped into him. So anyway, to cut the loooong story short, after asking for his name, & not to forget, & last name, I went searching for him on Facebook. Much to my surprise, I found him! Being the bold girl I was, I sent him a private message. From then on, I don't know what happened, we were constantly exchanging messages on Facebook.

I wonder if our friendship would have ever blossomed if I hadn't made the first move. Here comes the complicated part. When I tell friends about my newfound friend, W, the first thing that comes to their mind would be, "ohhhh...there must be a romantic association somewhere..." I don't blame them as it is quite an Asian thing to think/say BUT what bothers me is that whenever I voice out my intention to ask W out (for a meal/drink), my friends would exclaim in unison "let him make the first move!"

See? What does this all mean? W & I are just normal friends, no romantic association whatsoever, so what does it matter who makes the first move? So, as we grow up, our friendship with the opposite sex has to be dicatated by the "social rules" people impose on romantic relationships? So does that mean that as adults we should not be seen together with someone of the opposite sex cause it would create much hooha? Is it even possible to have a really close opposite-sex friend? I used to believe that it is possible but slowly as time goes by I get influenced by the cynism of this "adult world" that I'm still trying to fit into.

Right now, part of me wishes that classes would start soon so that my mind would be occupied by studies instead of thinking nonsense, which isn't exactly nonsense when you think about it. The past 3 years have been a self-seeking journey as I continue to understand myself better. No one in this world can confidently say that he or she knows a person inside out 100%, not even the person himself.

So, these questions will still be left unanswered until, maybe at some point, life decides to do me a favour by answering them.


Next post will be on friendships.

p/s: Feel free to voice out your experience/opinions. =)

XOXO,
Lin

No comments: